View: Previous | Next
Draft Quick Facts
Traded Picks

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9
Round 10
Round 11
Round 12

Picks by Team

1963 | 1974 | 1986 | 1997
1964 | 1975 | 1987 | 1998
1965 | 1976 | 1988 | 1999
1966 | 1977 | 1989 | 2000
1967 | 1978 | 1990 | 2001
1968 | 1979 | 1991 | 2002
1969 | 1980 | 1992 | 2003
1970 | 1981 | 1993 | 2004
1971 | 1982 | 1994 | 2005
1972 | 1984 | 1995 |
1973 | 1985 | 1996 |


Bob Probert
Selected in third round
No. 46 overall by Detroit Red Wings

Born June 5, 1965
Position: Left Wing
Height: 6-3   Weight: 210
Last Team: Brantford (OHL)                               
Birthplace: Windsor, Ontario (Canada)
Hometown: Windsor, Ontario
Year TeamLeague GPG ATP PIM
1981-82 WindsorOnt. AAA 5560 40100 40
1982-83 BrantfordOHL 5112 1628 133

Was Brantford's seventh-round pick, No. 95 overall, in 1982 OHL priority selection. ... Also played center in junior hockey.
Debut: November 6, 1985 (St. Louis at Detroit)
Numbers:  24 (Detroit); 24 (Chicago)
Stanley Cup: Never won.  Playing Status: Retired 2003
Years TeamsGP GA TPPIM
1985-2002 Detroit, Chicago935 163221 3843,300
YearsTeams GPG ATP PIM
1987-2002 Detroit, Chicago81 1632 48274

All-Star Game:
1988 (Detroit)
Detroit Records: Most career penalty minutes (2,090), most penalty minutes in one season (398 in 1987-88)
NHL Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1987-88 (Detroit) (398 PIM)
Detroit Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1987-88 (398), 1990-91 (315), 1991-92 (276), 1992-93 (292), 1993-94 (275)
Detroit Playoffs Points Leader: 1988 (21)
Detroit Playoffs Assists Leader: 1992 (6)
Detroit Playoffs Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1991 (50), 1992 (28)
Chicago Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1995-96 (237), 1996-97 (326), 1998-99 (206), 2001-02 (176)
Chicago Playoffs Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1997 (41)
Broadcasting Career: Named Chicago radio studio analyst on Nov. 16, 2002, and remained in that position until Feb. 4, 2003.
Miscellaneous: Suspended by NHL for four games during 1985-86 season for head-butting Bob McGill during a bench-clearing brawl with 5:09 remaining in Detroit's Jan. 13, 1986, game at Toronto. Probert received a match penalty, game misconduct and major penalty for the incident. The NHL suspended Probert immediately after the game and then held a hearing to determine the length of the suspension, which was set at four games. Probert did not return to the Detroit lineup until the Red Wings' Jan. 23, 1986, game at Philadelphia. Detroit coach Brad Park later said he had specifically ordered his players to leave the bench and join the fight. ... Played on line with Steve Yzerman and Gerard Gallant for Detroit in 1986-87 and 1987-88. ... Began playing right wing, in addition to left wing, for Detroit during 1986-87 season. ... Suspended by NHL for six games (automatic suspensions) during 1987-88 season as a result of his repeated game misconduct penalties. He was suspended one game for receiving his third game misconduct of the season during Detroit's Dec. 23, 1987, game vs. Buffalo. He was suspended two games for receiving his fourth game misconduct of the season during Detroit's Jan. 3, 1988, game at Winnipeg. He was suspended three games for receiving his fifth game misconduct of the season during Detroit's March 6, 1988, game at Chicago. ... Set Detroit record (since broken) for points in one playoff year with 21 in 1988. ... Assisted on goal by Wayne Gretzky in his lone NHL All-Star Game on Feb. 9, 1988, at St. Louis. ... Suspended by NHL for three games during 1988-89 season for hitting goaltender Allan Bester with 10:25 remaining in Detroit's Dec. 10, 1988, game at Toronto. He received a match penalty for attempting to injure Bester on the play, and the NHL announced the suspension on Dec. 15, 1988. ...Suspended by Detroit for one game after showing up late to a Jan. 9, 1989, game vs. Montreal. ... Suspended by Detroit for one game after showing up late to the Red Wings' Jan. 25, 1989, game vs. Buffalo. The following day, he was suspended indefinitely. He was reinstated on Feb. 15, 1989, and returned to action for Detroit's Feb. 25, 1989, game vs. Chicago. ... Suspended indefinitely by NHL after being arrested for attempting to smuggle cocaine across the U.S.-Canada border on March 2, 1989. ... Reinstated to NHL on March 9, 1990. He returned to NHL action, making his 1989-90 season debut in Detroit's March 22, 1990, game vs. Minnesota, and he scored Detroit's lone goal in a 5-1 loss. ... Missed remainder of 1989-90 season with the flu, an illness contracted in late March 1990. ... Was not allowed to travel with Red Wings to Canada for any of the team's 1990-91 or 1991-92 games on the other side of the border because he was appealing a ruling which would have led the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to deport him if he re-entered the country -- given his status as a convicted felon. He finally was granted permission to play in Canada on Dec. 7, 1992, and he returned to Canada for Detroit's Dec. 9, 1992, game at Toronto, having missed three games in Canada in the early portion of the 1992-93 season. ... Missed part of 1990-91 season with broken left wrist, an injury suffered when he collided with Ed Belfour during Detroit's Dec. 1, 1990, game vs. Chicago. He did not return until Detroit's Dec. 28, 1990, game at Pittsburgh. ... Suspended by NHL for one game (automatic suspension) during 1990-91 season for receiving his second stick-related major penalty and game misconduct of year during Detroit's Jan. 22, 1991, game vs. Washington. ... Suspended by NHL for one game during 1991 playoffs for sucker-punching Blues goalie Vincent Riendeau during Game 2 of Detroit's first-round series at St. Louis on April 6, 1991. ... Suspended by NHL for one game during 1991-92 season (automatic suspension) for receiving his third game misconduct of the season during Detroit's Jan. 3, 1992, game vs. Toronto. ... Suspended by NHL for three games during 1991-92 season for swinging stick at Garth Butcher and drawing match penalty during Detroit's Feb. 29, 1992, game at St. Louis. The suspension was announced on March 6, 1992. He was unable to return until Detroit's March 20, 1992, game vs. N.Y. Rangers because the stretch of three games also included three games in Canada, which he was ineligible to play. ... Suspended one game by NHL (automatic suspension) during 1992-93 season for receiving his third game misconduct of the season in Detroit's Feb. 3, 1993, game vs. Chicago. ... Suspended by NHL for four games and fined $500 during 1993-94 season for slashing Bob Rouse during Detroit's Oct. 15, 1993, game vs. Toronto. Rouse was also suspended for four games, even though he was clearly the aggressor and had forced Probert to retaliate. The NHL said Probert received the same suspension as Rouse because he was a repeat offender. ... Missed part of 1993-94 season with bruised tailbone, an injury suffered during Detroit's Nov. 20, 1993, game at New Jersey. He did not return until Detroit's Dec. 6, 1993, game vs. Winnipeg. ... Suspended by NHL for two games and fined $500 for head-butting Sandy McCarthy during first period of Detroit's April 2, 1994, game vs. Calgary. Probert received a match penalty for attempting to injure McCarthy, necessitating an automatic review by the league office. The suspension was announced on April 7, 1994. ... Missed part of 1995-96 season with sprained knee, an injury suffered during Chicago's Dec. 26, 1995, game vs. Dallas. ... Suspended by NHL for one game during 1995-96 season for elbowing incident during Chicago's Feb. 8, 1996, game at St. Louis. ... Missed part of 1997-98 season with torn cartilage and sprained MCL in right knee, an injury suffered during Chicago's Oct. 9, 1997, game vs. Tampa Bay. The injury required arthroscopic surgery on Oct. 16, 1997, and Probert did not return to action until Chicago's Nov. 10, 1997, game vs. Calgary. ... Missed most of the 1997-98 season with torn right rotator cuff, an injury initially suffered in fight with Sandy McCarthy during Chicago's Nov. 10, 1997, game vs. Calgary. He re-aggravated the injury during Chicago's Nov. 16, 1997, game vs. Detroit, and required major surgery on Dec. 3, 1997. He did not return to action until Chicago's April 4, 1998, game vs. Detroit. ... Scored final NHL goal in the history of Maple Leaf Gardens during Chicago's Feb. 13, 1999, game at Toronto. ... Suspended by NHL for four games during 1999-00 season for leaving the bench, along with Dave Manson, to join a fight in Chicago's Oct. 4, 1999, season-opener at San Jose. He sat out games from Oct. 6-15, 1999. ... Missed parts of 1999-00 season with sore elbow, an injury suffered during Chicago's Nov. 27, 1999, game at St. Louis, and with the flu, an illness contracted in February 2000. ... Became sixth NHL player to record 3,000 career penalty minutes when he achieved feat in Chicago's March 11, 2000, game at Florida. ... Was Chicago's nominee for 2000-01 Masterton Trophy. ... Opted to unofficially retire on Nov. 16, 2002, after Chicago placed him on waivers and he was not claimed by any other NHL team in November 2002. He later made the retirement official during the 2003 off-season. ... Retired with No. 4 ranking on the NHL's all-time penalty-minutes list (3,300 PIM).
Battling Addiction: Few players in sports history have had as long and difficult a struggle with alcohol and drug addiction as Probert had during the early years of his NHL career. Although Probert's abuse of alcohol dated well back into his junior hockey days, his addiction problems began to interfere with his pro career on April 4, 1986, when he was first arrested in his native Windsor, Ontario, for speeding, driving while impaired and refusing to take a breathalyzer test. Three months later, Probert added to his woes by assaulting a Windsor police officer after a fight outside a local bar. This second arrest was the wake-up call Probert needed, and on July 22, 1986, he agreed to enter the Hazelden Foundation's rehabilitation facility in Lindstrom, Minn., to address his addiction to alcohol. After the first 10 days, he was moved to Abbott-Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, where he was treated for his withdrawal and other medical symptoms. In total, Probert spent 36 days in the two rehab programs, returning to training camp with a renewed sense of himself. Within three months, however, Probert was in trouble again, as he was arrested by Windsor police for driving while impaired on Dec. 19, 1986. On Jan. 30, 1987, Probert was fined $2,000, and had his driver's license revoked after he was convicted of two drinking-related charges from the Dec. 19, 1986 incident. At that time, he was acquitted of the more series DUI charge. On Feb. 11, 1987, during the NHL's All-Star break for the Rendez-vous Series with the Soviets, Probert returned to rehab at the Red Wings' insistence -- this time checking into the Brentwood Recovery Center in Windsor. He did not return to Detroit's lineup until the Red Wings' March 2, 1987, game at Boston. Under a special work release program, Probert was granted permission to attend Red Wings practices and games while he was still taking part in the treatment program, provided he had someone from his rehab center to take him to and from all team functions, and he had begun taking advantage of this privilege on Feb. 28, 1987. However, on March 30, 1987, Probert was kicked out of the Brentwood program for violating unspecified rules. Probert's troubles with alcohol resurfaced on Dec. 3, 1987, when he was jailed one night in Redford Township, Mich., for violating his probation related to a previously unreported DUI conviction. Over the next 10 months, Probert was caught breaking curfew before Game 5 of Detroit's Campbell Conference finals series at Edmonton and was fined $200 for missing a team bus and flight from Chicago to Detroit on Sept. 20, 1988, during Detroit's 1988 training camp. That led to his demotion to the minor leagues, which only made the situation grow even worse. On Sept. 23, 1988, the Red Wings suspended Probert indefinitely for skipping an Adirondack (AHL) practice and missing a team flight. Detroit insisted that Probert enter a rehab clinic, and he finally checked himself into the famous Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif. on Oct. 3, 1988. Less than 10 days later, on Oct. 12, 1988, Probert left the rehab center despite having more than 30 days left in his treatment program. He flew back to Detroit, and other passengers reported that he was drunk on the plane. Probert's agent, Patrick Ducharme, reportedly told team officials that Probert had to leave rehab come back to the Wings because he needed money and was "flat broke." The suspension cost him $1,300 per day in lost salary. He was forced to sell his home and Corvette while he lived with fellow recovering alcoholics in Windsor and took the medication Antabuse. Under heavy pressure from Ducharme, Detroit finally let Probert rejoin the team on Nov. 22, 1988, and he made his 1988-89 season debut in Detroit's Nov. 27, 1988, game vs. Washington. On the day of his return, Probert personally apologized to all of his Red Wings teammates for what had happened. After his return, he roomed with Petr Klima, who had been going through similar battles with alcohol and other off-ice problems. The Red Wings felt the two players would provide a steadying influence on each other. This arrangement worked for a short while, but problems resurfaced in January when Probert showed up late for Detroit's Jan. 9, 1989 game vs. Montreal and was scratched from the lineup with "the flu." Detroit later acknowledged that it had been covering up for Probert. He was suspended yet again for violating team rules on Jan. 25 and did not return to the team until Detroit's Feb. 15, 1989 practice, finally returning to the lineup on Feb. 25, 1989 vs. Chicago. He remained with the Wings until March 2, 1989, when he was involved in the most devastating drug-related incident of his career, leading to temporary banishment from the NHL. Sadly, Probert's chemical dependency stayed with him throughout his NHL career, and he even sought help for substance abuse in February 2003, several months after his unofficial retirement from hockey.
Brushes with the Law: Probert made the first of his many negative headlines in November 1986, when he was barred from re-entering the United States by American customs agents on Nov. 2, 1986. The decision, early in the 1986-87 season, stemmed from Probert's being on probation for having assaulted a police officer outside a Windsor, Ontario, bar on July 6, 1986 -- the incident that led to his first trip to a rehab facility. Probert had avoided jail time and been placed on probation on Oct. 2, 1986, after promising that he would no longer use alcohol. That situation with his right to cross the border was quickly resolved, but Detroit demoted Probert to the minor leagues on Nov. 6, 1986, recalling him on Nov. 20, 1986. He played well after his recall, but got into trouble again at 1:55 a.m. on Dec. 19, 1986, when he was arrested in Windsor, Ontario, for driving while impaired -- his second such arrest in eight months. This time, he was also charged with violating his probation. Probert had driven his car into a utility pole before being arrested. Police also charged him with violating his probation linked to his earlier drunken driving arrest and his assault of a Windsor police officer. His license was suspended, and he was fined $500. After the arrest, Detroit suspended Probert indefinitely, but the suspension was later reduced to just two games. Probert returned to the Red Wings lineup for Detroit's Dec. 23, 1986, game vs. Chicago.
Busted for Smuggling Drugs: Probert's NHL career nearly came to an end in March 1989, when he was expelled from the NHL after being arrested for attempting to smuggle cocaine over the U.S.-Canada border. On March 2, 1989, Probert was driving from his native Windsor, Ontario, into Detroit with a packet of cocaine tucked in his underwear. The cocaine, a total of 14.3 grams, fell out of his underwear during a strip search by U.S. Customs Service agents on the U.S. side of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Police had noticed Probert driving his 1988 GMC Jimmy in an erratic fashion and noticed evidence of drug and alcohol use in the car, which was occupied by Probert, a man and two women. The street value of the cocaine found on Probert was thought to be at least $1,500. Probert was charged with drug smuggling, and he faced up to 20 years in prison and a $1 million fine if convicted. Released on $50,000 bond, Probert was dealt with harshly by the NHL. On March 4, 1989, NHL president John Ziegler banned Probert form the league and the Red Wings tore up his three-year, $600,000 contract. At the time, most fans assumed Probert was being banned for life, thereby becoming the fourth player ever given such a ban. He also became the third player in NHL history to be suspended for a drug-related criminal offense, joining Don Murdoch and Ric Nattress. Red Wings officials said they knew Probert was rumored to have widened his alcohol addiction into the use of cocaine and were not surprised by the news of his arrest. They said Probert had refused the team's offers to help him get over his drug problem, denying that he used cocaine at all. Probert was not allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NHL until the legal case against him was closed. Over the course of the following year, Probert went through extensive rehab for his addiction and also served a 90-day sentence that resulted from his pleading guilty to federal drug-smuggling charges. He served his prison time at a federal penitentiary in Rochester, Minn. After his release from prison, Probert began skating on March 5, 1990. Two days later, the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service granted him a 90-day work permit, enabling him to work in the U.S. despite being a convicted felon. After earning his work permit, he was finally reinstated by the NHL on March 9, 1990. The league had initially said he could not return until Nov. 1, 1990, but the Wings got the process expedited in time for the 1990 Stanley Cup playoffs. Ziegler said he was satisfied Probert met conditions for reinstatement. Despite the NHL decision, Probert was only allowed to play games in the United States until the U.S. immigration service dropped its orders to have him deported if he were to enter the U.S. from Canada. This situation would last through the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons and part of the 1992-93 season as he appealed the ruling. When he was reinstated, Probert was finishing his sentence in a Detroit halfway house. After getting clearance from his probation officer and halfway house director, Probert returned to practice on March 19, 1990, and made his 1989-90 debut in a March 22, 1990, game vs. Minnesota. He scored a goal in that game and in each of his next two. Despite the difficult year after his arrest, Probert later said the experience made him a better person. His saga ended when he was released from the Detroit halfway house on May 2, 1990.
Probert Leaves Detroit: Just when it looked as if Probert had truly conquered his chemical dependency problem, he found himself at the center of controversy once again in a series of events that led to his departure from Detroit. On July 15, 1994, Probert suffered minor injuries when he crashed his motorcycle into a car while driving in West Bloomfield Township, Mich. At the time of the accident, a local newspaper reported Probert's blood-alcohol level was as high as .31, more than three times the legal .10 limit. The accident came just two days after Probert had been pulled over for erratic driving and had been unable to produce his license. At the time of the accident, Probert had been ruled an unrestricted free agent. Given added controversy, Detroit senior vice-president Jim Devellano decided not to make another contract offer to Probert. On July 19, 1994, the Wings announced that Probert was no longer part of the team. "This is the end," said Devellano. "In my 12 years with the organization ... we've never spent more time on one player and his problems than we have on Probert."
Another Season-Long Suspension: Five years after he was nearly banned from the NHL for life, Probert's addiction landed him in more trouble. In a bit of deja vu, Probert sat out the entire 1994-95 lockout season after being suspended by the NHL for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The suspension stemmed from a July 15, 1994, motorcycle accident, which led to formal DUI charges against Probert on July 27, 1994. Blood tests from July 15, revealed cocaine in Probert's system, in addition to a high level of alcohol. Probert was not, however, charged with driving under the influence of cocaine, because he was already facing the DUI charge for alcohol. The charges left Probert facinig up to three months in jail. Probert's lawyers disputed the police procedures in evidence collection. Police, however, said Probert had threatened officers and workers at the hospital as they tried to draw his blood. A police report said Probert threatened to kill the arresting officers. On Aug. 8, 1994, Probert had a hearing with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to determine the extent of Probert's punishment. On Sept. 2, 1994, the NHL announced that Probert had been suspended indefinitely and could not be reinstated until he had completed a drug rehabilitation program. Probert was ordered to enter the ASAP Family Treatment Center in California. The program was set for a minimum of 28 days, but he ended up spending six months at the center before he applied for reinstatement into the league, which at the time was dealing with the protracted labor dispute and lockout. Probert was finally reinstated on April 28, 1995, allowing him to resume his career at the start of the 1995-96 season. The ruling was a slight disappointment, since Probert had hoped to play in the 1995 playoffs.
Post-Draft Teams: Brantford/Hamilton, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL); Adirondack (AHL)
AHL Calder Cup:
1986 (Adirondack)
Miscellaneous: Was on Brantford (OHL) team that relocated to Hamilton prior to 1984-85 season. ... Released by Hamilton (OHL) in October 1984. ... Traded by Hamilton (OHL) with Shawn Tyers to Sault Ste. Marie in exchange for Alex Haidy, John English and 1985 sixth-round priority-selection pick in November 1984. ... Was active in charitable causes during his playing days, including work to prevent drug and alcohol abuse, a cause he became involved with after serving his prison sentence. ... Ran hockey camp in Detroit during off-seasons of his playing days with Red Wings. ... Arrested by police in the early morning hours of June 4, 2004, after a scuffle on the streets of Delray Beach, Fla. Probert attempted to fight off police officers who were looking to break the fight. He was finally restrained by multiple uses of a Taser gun. Police charged him with three felony counts -- battery on a law-enforcement  officer, violently resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Pending a hearing, he was jailed without bail at the Palm Beach County jail. On Feb. 17, 2005, a jury acquitted Probert of all three charges he had faced as a result of the incident.
Personal: Full name is Robert A. Probert.
FREE AGENCY: Probert, already a Group II restricted free agent, had his status upgraded to unrestricted free agency in July 1994 when the NHL ruled that Detroit's June 21, 1994, qualifying offer did not meet the necessary standards. Probert was offered a raise only over his base 1993-94 salary of $400,000 with no adjustment for a deferred $200,000 in income he had also been receiving. Free to go elsewhere, Probert signed a four-year, $6.6 million deal with Chicago on July 23, 1994.

Visit the new
Hockey Draft Central is in the middle of rebuilding. You are looking at a page that is not yet updated but is still part of the old site. Check out the new look.
New Home Page

Search this site with:
Total Selected: 242
Forwards: 134
Defense: 86
Goaltenders: 22
Major Junior: 122
Tier II/Jr. B: 19/5
College Players: 15
High School: 47
Canadian: 148
Euro-Canadian: 0
USA Citizens: 60
U.S.-Born: 60
European: 34
Reached NHL: 113
Stanley Cup: 21
Hall of Fame: 4
All-Star Game: 20
Year-end All-Star: 7
Olympians: 34
Picks Traded: 41
About This Site